May 30, 2009

My first homemade journal

I took a class at the local art store on how to make an hardbound accordion journal. It was quite easy to do and a lot of fun. I made this for my bead friend who loves purple.

My last Art Doll in the Coolaberation

Here is Lakeloon. Isn't he just fantastic? Everyone has done such a fabulous job on him. I think he is just perfect. I'm working on a beaded hummingbird for him because his great goal in life is to catch a hummingbird. :D

May 19, 2009

The Racoon Queen

This month at the local doll club the theme was animals. So I dug out my raccoon bead and attached it to my doll form. It was only about half the size of the doll head so I made her a fancy doo. The hair is felted. I quite like her hair style. It's modelled after an old Japanese style. Very long in the back with it shorter on both sides. The sticky up hair is my idea. LOL....

Update on the Weird Sisters

I'm now finished with doll2, the black and white flowered one. Am debating whether or not to add a punk hair do. I was thinking black hair that came out in spikes around the face, but J says that it's better without. That she looks like she's been mummified.

I really like how the beading turned out on this one. The smaller flowers are done one bead at a time with 15s. It was so time consuming, but well worth the effect. It looks like lace.

The other doll, is number 3. I have not been happy with her face. Her eyes look a bit like a football player with the black under the eyes. Will have to break the beads out and redo them. Had fun with the flower. Did a raised satin stitch for the center part and it looks very nice.

May 17, 2009

Birthstone RR

Here is the doll form for the BAD birthstone RR.

May 13, 2009

Ayala - Art Coolaberation Doll

Well I can't believe that I'm almost finished with this RR. After Ayala I think there is just one more. From the first time I saw her I knew she was a mermaid at heart.

So when I got her, I Shortened her lace top so she could have a belly button. Embellished the lace with more beads and added a few sequins. Gave her a necklace. And then made her a tail fin

For the fin, I added batting and quilted it. Then I added sequins ( a first for me). It was much harder than I expected. Because I had machine quilted it, it had compacted the fabric and in places it was incredibly dense. I actually broke a curved needle which is also a first for me. The sequins look white in the photo but they are clear iridescent in real life. In the sunlight they are almost blinding.

May 6, 2009

He's finished... For the most part

Well, I finally did it and got up the courage to do the felting of the hair. Thankfully good ole Karma veranda gave me lots of advice that was great for a beginner. Thanks Karma! I think it turned out fairly well for a beginner. May try it again on other dolls.

I still have to line the cloak with black satin but other than that he's done!

May 4, 2009

Shes' finished!

Well, doll1 (the big one) and four are finished. I think I gave myself tendonitis sticking those nails through. Thanks to Paula I used some white rubberized flannel. First I painted it a silvery white and then I made a helmet. Once I was sure it would fit around the face, I added the nails and glued it on. Right now she has pins in her face to hold it in place until the glue dries. Hope it works!

Doll4 happens to be about 4 inches. What a coincidence. She's done in charolettes. And I think that is about as small of a face as I can bead. I guess I could go one size smaller on the beads, but those tiny needles drive me nuts.

I'm working on Doll2 now. The front flower reminds me of lampwork beads. It's size 13s alternating black and white and going up to 8s near the center.